Welcome to GamerzUniverse, a Nintendo fan forum! We moved as of recently to the following site: www.gamerzuniverse2.canadian-forum.com so please check us out to see our content!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to GamerzUniverse, a Nintendo fan forum! We moved as of recently to the following site: www.gamerzuniverse2.canadian-forum.com so please check us out to see our content!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A community with knowledge beyond the universe!

3 posters

The Smeargle Guide ~ Sketch Breeding Guide for Gen V

Hylia
    Hylia
    Pokemon Trainer
    Pokemon Trainer

Hylia
    GU 1st Year Veteran
    Gsystem : No warnings
    GCoins : 240

The Smeargle Guide ~ Sketch Breeding Guide for Gen V Empty The Smeargle Guide ~ Sketch Breeding Guide for Gen V

Post by Hylia Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:55 am

The Smeargle Guide - Sketch Breeding for Gen V

Hey, I'm sure a vast majority of you know about Smeargle's awesome Sketch move. It permanently lets Smeargle learn any move it Sketch'd last. Smeargle is like the new Mew; it can learn any move via Sketch (with various exceptions that are not Sketch-able). Also, it can pass down these moves via breeding (male only) which is exceptionally useful. So, here's a little guide telling you how you can get those cool chain bred Egg moves on the Pokemon you like using this paintbrush pup.

Firstly; obtain a male Smeargle. Can be migrated from Hoenn (Emerald version only, caught at the Artisan Cave at the Battle Frontier), migrated from HG/SS (Ruins of Alph and Safari Zone). Or, in Black version, Smeargle appear on Route 3 as an outbreak Pokemon. No matter how you do it, just get a male Smeargle with only the move Sketch. The best way to use Smeargle is to breed for a Level 1-male Smeargle, since it'll have Sketch at the start. Level up the pup to at least level 7.

There are many Ground Egg grouped Pokemon, but for this example, we'll go with Oshawott and these four Egg moves: Trump Card, Night Slash, Air Slash and Brine. Lovely moves for Oshawott, but how to get them? First, let's concentrate on who learns Trump Card. The earliest Pokemon in the National Pokedex shows Eevee learning Trump Card at level 57. If you have an Eevee at such a high level from any previous games, you might want to migrate the little guy to your game. (If you have another Pokemon who learns this move, you can use it too)

Get into a double battle. I recommend the double battle grass of Route 3 or 5, since it's easier to get to, the wild Pokemon are low level and Sketching will be easier. Make sure your Smeargle is slower than your sketchee Pokemon. Commence the battle, make sure it's a double battle (the usual wild battle music changes a few beats). Have your Trump Card-knowing Pokemon attack. The target will die (unless you Trump Carder is level 7 or lower) and have your Smeargle Sketch its partner Pokemon. If it succeeds, Smeargle will have Sketched Trump Card and you can kill off the double battle. It's also a STAB so you'll definitely win. Now that you have Trump Card on your Smeargle, train it the next 11 levels; it'll learn a new Sketch. Next move is Night Slash. This one is easy, as we can catch three Pokemon who learn this naturally in Unova. Zoroark, Liepard and Absol (at Route 13). Zoroark is catchable two ways; Zorua evolving at level 30, or catching the level 25 one at Lostlorn Forest via event.

That might be a tricky one, so let's try Liepard or Absol. When catching wild Liepard, it might not have the move on it; however the ones in the Dreamyard at level 55+, they have it! So smuggle on over there and snag yourself a Liepard. If you prefer to capture Absol, do so at Route 13 in the grass. Most wild Absol have Night Slash in their roster. (Or you can migrate an Absol or another Night Slasher, like Sceptile). If there's another Pokemon with Night Slash that you like to use, go for it. Engage in a Double Battle again in the tall grass. Have the Night Slasher attack and Smeargle Sketch that Pokemon. Remember, Smeargle needs to be slower than the one you're sketching. Once you have that, Smeargle now has Trump Card and Night Slash learned! Excellent! Train up your Smeargle another 11 levels and a new Sketch appears in the third slot.

Next move is Air Slash. Awesome move, if it hits! Good Pokemon to get this move from are Unfeazant (wild, capture at Lostlorn Forest in shaky patch of grass or level up Pidove) and Farfetch'd. Funny thing, Farfetch'd are wild outbreak Pokemon on Route 1. Coolness! However, if you come across another Pokemon of your choosing with this move, use it! Engage in another double battle and of course, have your Air Slasher attack and your Smeargle Sketch it. Win the battle and hurray, your Smeargle has three of the four moves! Ready your Smeargle by leveling it up 11 levels and another Sketch will appear. Your Smeargle should be level 36-45 now. (Depending on if you bred for one)

Last move is Brine. Cubchoo have Brine in their default roster if you catch a wild one. Piplup can learn Brine in Gen IV as a TM and naturally as Empoleon. Whichever Pokemon you want to use and has this move, of course you're free to use it. Engage in a double battle one last time. Make sure your Smeargle is slower than your Briner; if Smeargle is faster, escape the battle and find a harder double battle grass. Route 6-7 are nice choices as the Pokemon are level 24-33. Have your Briner attack the weakest of the two Pokemon, then your Smeargle to sketch Brine. Kill off the enemies and walla! Your Smeargle has all the four moves it needs to know!

And, Oshawott is in the Ground Egg group (as is Snivy and Tepig) so that's even better! I recommend leveling your Smeargle to at least level 55 or higher, as the Day-Care will get rid of the last move for a new Sketch that Smeargle learns every 11 levels. If you wish to keep Smeargle as his current level, pay attention to the Day-Care and keep track of his levels. If you have a female Oshawott/Dewott/Samurott, use her and the Smeargle in the Day-Care. You will eventually get an Egg that'll hatch into an Oshawott with all the egg moves Sketched! Congratulations! (If your female Oshawott has a nature you like, don't forget to give her an Everstone to pass on the nature)

You can also use Smeargle's Sketching for Snivy with that Captivate/Twister/Glare, that Eevee you've always wanted with the Curse/Wish/Yawn, that Riolu with Blaze Kick, Crunch, Bullet Punch and Sky Uppercut, or any other Pokemon! Using this method for Ground fielders is the best way to chain moves. It's very tideous, but it will get you that Pokemon with those moves you like.

Have patience and good luck! Thanks for reading!

Original Source: Pokeboard - Made by Galdr (Me)
    If you see this guide anywhere else other than here or at the aforementioned (not in links), then it was stolen.
    ÄṉïṃεFɾεαќ
    ÄṉïṃεFɾεαќ
    Anime Addict
    Anime Addict

Tech Admin

Bleach
    Kirito Fan
    GU 1st Year Veteran
    GCoins : 2419

The Smeargle Guide ~ Sketch Breeding Guide for Gen V Empty Re: The Smeargle Guide ~ Sketch Breeding Guide for Gen V

Post by ÄṉïṃεFɾεαќ Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:39 pm

WHOA! i didnt know any of this actually.. -.- LOL, never thought of smeargle on my team or anything Razz
    Evolution Master
    Evolution Master
    Toadally Admin
    Toadally Admin

Toad rank
    Toad Badge
    Conan Badge
    GU 1st Year Veteran
    GCoins : 1854

The Smeargle Guide ~ Sketch Breeding Guide for Gen V Empty Re: The Smeargle Guide ~ Sketch Breeding Guide for Gen V

Post by Evolution Master Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:05 pm

Neat guide Hylia and you really did put some thought into this. Smile

Like Gangnam Style, I really never considered training a Smeargle (though I do remember that its Sketch move was popular). Maybe I should have considered him sooner. Razz Thanks for the guide though!

However, I'm guessing Smeragle on its own isn't that good of a battler with its stats, right (just breeding?)?
    Hylia
    Hylia
    Pokemon Trainer
    Pokemon Trainer

Hylia
    GU 1st Year Veteran
    GCoins : 240

Post by Hylia Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:53 pm

@Gan; thank you. Very Happy

@Evo; thanks!

To be honest, Smeargle can make a decent team addition. I would say it can make a nice wild card, since it can sketch just about every move. For a Smeargle set, I would recommend:

Smeargle @ [one of the five Neutral natures. (Serious, Quirky, Docile, Bashful, Hardy)] @ Technician
    Move 1: Knock Off
    Move 2: Camouflage
    Move 3: Leech Seed
    Move 4: Psycho Cut

I've ran this moveset before (only in Gen IV) so it's pretty fun. I trolled a lot in wi-fi battles. I still lost, but it was fun. I had another Pokemon, My Blaziken, before Smeargle set up three Bulk-Ups and two Agility uses before Baton Passing. And yes, I bred my Torchic for those moves.

You can also use Smeargle in a Confusion set, since it can also have Own Tempo. So, have another Pokemon with Swagger, and Swagger Smeargle to boost its Attack Stat without confusion. Works like a charm. (of course, Outrage will still confuse it)

It just depends on how you use Smeargle. I suggest keeping it at a Neutral nature. This will give you the opportunity to let it be a special and a physical attacker. Unless, if giving it a beneficial nature, then it can be a special defensive Smeargle, and be a wall-setter up. (Light Screen, Reflect, Bulk-Up/Calm Mind, Baton Pass)

I love Smeargle; I hardly used it in Gen II because it was next to impossible to Sketch moves I wanted without Smeargle dying.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 3:26 pm