Welcome to GamerzUniverse, a Nintendo fan forum! We moved as of recently to the following site: www.gamerzuniverse2.canadian-forum.com so please check us out to see our content!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to GamerzUniverse, a Nintendo fan forum! We moved as of recently to the following site: www.gamerzuniverse2.canadian-forum.com so please check us out to see our content!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A community with knowledge beyond the universe!

+2
Will
Evolution Master
6 posters

Is Mario losing his charm?

Poll

Are Mario games becoming less innovative than before?

[ 0 ]
    Is Mario losing his charm? I_vote_lcap0%Is Mario losing his charm? I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Is Mario losing his charm? I_vote_lcap0%Is Mario losing his charm? I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Is Mario losing his charm? I_vote_lcap100%Is Mario losing his charm? I_vote_rcap [100%] 

Total Votes: 2
    Evolution Master
    Evolution Master
    Toadally Admin
    Toadally Admin

Toad rank
    Toad Badge
    Conan Badge
    GU 1st Year Veteran
    Gsystem : No warnings
    GCoins : 1854

Is Mario losing his charm? Empty Is Mario losing his charm?

Post by Evolution Master Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:04 pm

So what is your general opinion of the Mario series lately? As of recently, Nintendo has released many Mario games, and while they all sold well...there have been mentions that Nintendo is milking the Mario series and that they haven't been as unique with the series as much as they had been in the past. Many recent Mario games have been many easier as well in order to attribute to the casual crowd as well.

In my personal opinion, I am not sure what to say to be honest. The Mario series is a great series; however, I do agree that some aspects like the NSMB series aren't as creative as previous games due to reused elements that are found within the series. Other genres of the Mario series have also been less "detailed" in a way as well as it seems like Nintendo is relying on the older Mario game elements instead of using new concepts.

So what is your opinion of the Mario series as of now? Are you getting tired of the series and think it deserves a little break, or do you think that the series is still as creative as ever? Your thoughts?
    Will
    Will
    Princess of Hyrule
    Princess of Hyrule

GU 1st Year Veteran
    GCoins : 855

Is Mario losing his charm? Empty Re: Is Mario losing his charm?

Post by Will Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:46 pm

Well I like to think not. But I do see where others would say this. But theirs so many different types to think about though.

I think reacently NSMBU is a great game with many different features while NSMB2 is a little more of the same. But those are side scrolling mario games and their isn't much room for difference their.

3d mario games are completely different. Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are very good games. They offer more of a story for a Mario game then others and are very inovative. Super Mario 3d land, on the other hand, isn't as hot. It looks great and offers a little bit of challenge, but it was kinda easy to playthrough and find all the star coins. It seemed like a 3d version (in 3d too) of a sidescrolling mario game.

What about Mario Kart? Without question Mario Kart never fails to get better and stay fun. New tracks and old tracks modified in every game. It always has new power ups and items to use. Most reacently Mario Kart 7 took to the skies with gliders, which is a pretty cool feature. Online play makes the game endless.

So yes, in someways mario games are losing their charm. But overall, no, their still fun and ever changing. Especially with Mario Kart, which is probably my favorite franchise/type of Mario games. But you can't compare the types together. You can't compare SMB and NSMB to Mario 64 or Mario Galaxy to Mario Kart or Mario Kart 7. It is my opinion that it is the variety of Mario games that keep it alive. I never mentioned Tennis, or Slugers, or any other sports games but their are still lots of them out their.

Anyway once again I typed too much. Congrats if you made it this far, but honestly how would read any further?
    XKoreanLP
    XKoreanLP
    GU Patroller
    GU Patroller

Charizard Fan
    GU 1st Year Veteran
    GCoins : 560

Post by XKoreanLP Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:27 am

I would have to say that the New Super Mario Bros series were easy and repetitive, especially NSMB2. NSMBU, from what I've seen so far, had more creativity and was not as repetitive. Super Mario 3D Land was just pathetic, Mario Kart series are awesome as usual, and Paper Mario Sticker Star had its own creativity. So, I guess the Mario series have their ups and downs, in a way...
    Evolution Master
    Evolution Master
    Toadally Admin
    Toadally Admin

Toad rank
    Toad Badge
    Conan Badge
    GU 1st Year Veteran

Post by Evolution Master Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:40 pm

NSMB U does seem rather fresh in the series, I must admit. The world map was probably the best feature; however, many levels and gameplay elements look neat and "new" for once. The only issue is the reused music from NSMB Wii. Neutral In my opinion, NSMB DS was fine as it was a start to bring back the 2D Mario gameplay and NSMB Wii expanded upon it greatly and introduced the 4 player co-op. However, NSMB2 was just plain lazy with just the coin gimmick.

However, I disagree with your point about SM3DL. I thought 3D Land was actually one of the better Mario games lately as while it took the SMG-esque style, it was combined with the classic Mario worlds, so it was truly a 3D Mario game in a 2D style (if that makes sense). XD It was short, yes; however, it wasn't lazy like NSMB 2.

As with Paper Mario...I dunno. Seems like the 3DS game wasn't too appreciated by the fans, but let's see.
    Dalek
    Dalek
    Princess of Hyrule
    Princess of Hyrule

GU 1st Year Veteran
    GCoins : 248
    Location : In the coffee machine. It's hot in here, by the way.

Post by Dalek Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:01 am

To be honest, I like Mario, but, I don't play the games. Brawl and Mario Kart, yea, but I grew up with Sonic more, and just think Mario is too...I don't know. I played 3D Land, and liked it. I haven't played any newer ones, but from what I have SEEN of the new games, they didn't look to interesting, or good, to me. The coin thing was just, redundant. Can you buy, upgrades or something in it? They should make a remake or a new Super Mario RPG, then the OP amounts of coins would make sense. That's just me, though.
    Evolution Master
    Evolution Master
    Toadally Admin
    Toadally Admin

Toad rank
    Toad Badge
    Conan Badge
    GU 1st Year Veteran

Post by Evolution Master Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:10 am

Quagsauras wrote:To be honest, I like Mario, but, I don't play the games. Brawl and Mario Kart, yea, but I grew up with Sonic more, and just think Mario is too...I don't know. I played 3D Land, and liked it. I haven't played any newer ones, but from what I have SEEN of the new games, they didn't look to interesting, or good, to me. The coin thing was just, redundant. Can you buy, upgrades or something in it? They should make a remake or a new Super Mario RPG, then the OP amounts of coins would make sense. That's just me, though.

I don't believe you can buy any upgrades within the actual game itself (aside from unlocking extra worlds I believe). Also I agree about the remake of Super Mario RPG. I personally liked the Mario RPG and other story-based Mario games better myself than the traditional platformers (which I believe should be given a rest for the timebeing). I'd like some more story in the games I play, and the Princess being kidnapped tale is being overused lately imo.
    Oshawottluv49
    Oshawottluv49
    Princess Peach
    Princess Peach

GCoins : 72

Post by Oshawottluv49 Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:49 am

Honestly, Mario games are great but when you see elements being reused, it feels as if almost nothing changes. The other day my brother wanted me to play NSMB2 and I mistook it for another Mario game. Eventually I found out I I was wrong and was shocked. I feel like they have too many returning elements.
    Ospreyeagle
    Ospreyeagle
    Looker is the best
    Looker is the best

Looker
    Falcon Badge
    GU 1st Year Veteran
    GCoins : 1802

Post by Ospreyeagle Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:37 pm

I haven't played that many games, so I wouldn't know... I have played some more thanks to EM, but I still dunno.. They all seem fun to me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:18 pm